Thursday, July 07, 2005

London

When I first opened the door my mom informed me of the terrorist attack on London. I felt fear and remorse. I quickly made my way to the TV and turned it on. Flipping through the news channels I tried to find any coverage of what had happened. All that I could find was on CNN or Fox News. All the other 'news' channels had their soap operas on and other senseless programming. If this had been an attack here in America every single channel would be airing the footage over and over again. I just feel disheartened over this fact. It seems that America does not really care. What's more important in life soap operas or an attack on one of our allies? Don't get me wrong, I believe that America is a great country and I'm proud to live here but I do believe that 'we' need to have more of a soft spot for what truly is important in life. You can find out whether Thomas is the father of Rachel's baby on a post-poned episode but right now I can give a rat's ass about All My Children and As the World Turns because our children in London have been killed as our world turns.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I began watching the coverage later in the day and CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC were broadcasting it almost nonstop, so I guess they got their act together.

What struck me is that Londoners weren't even reacting to it the way I thought they should be. Remember how emotional the country, and especially the city of New York, was after that tragedy, whereas the British seemed almost stoic today. What I had to remember was that this is something London has sort of gotten used to. This past decade has been somewhat drama free, but the 70s, 80s, and even early 90s were crippled by frequent attacks from their friends to the north.

The weird thing is, we were just over there riding the Underground. We had to check to make sure our friends who are over there now are safe, and they are.

Emily said...

Really scary stuff. It makes me wonder what impact all of this will have on America in the long run. Will it bring us closer to the British, or will it generate more animosity towards us from England?