Saturday, August 20, 2005

Puget Sound Vacation Vol. IV

From My Kayak

Throughout my vacation in Puget Sound, I kayaked. There is nothing that amounts to the emotions taken in while out on the waters paddling in a place touched by the hand of God. The colors from the setting sun and Mt. Rainier hovering nearby were absolutely stunning. I loved listening to the sounds of nature, the birds and splashes from seals.


I really enjoyed kayaking with the seals. They would pop their heads up to see what I was doing, some would grunt to get my attention. I would look them in the eye and they would stare back. Then another one starved of my attention would make a splash and I'd have to look at him. They followed me kayaking as if I knew where a great source of food lie. I tried to get a picture of them but the second I held out my camera they all ducked beneath the waves. I tried having my camera ready for when they would pop their heads up again but not one would ever come up until I put my camera away. The very moment my camera was off and inside my kayak they splashed up and grunted, as if saying ah ah ah you can't get a picture of us. I think they were playing with me.


I did get the better of one seal though. I was kayaking up along the beach early in the morning when I saw what I thought was a sparkling white rock. It glittered in the sun. As I came closer I was amazed to find out it wasn't a rock at all but a seal. I quickly pulled out my camera and snapped a picture. The seal didn't move, it was asleep. I silently paddled closer inching my way towards this seal. I was now within 15 feet from her, she was still asleep, when I took this picture. Tired sealI sat in my kayak just admiring my luck when one of her eyes opened. She closed it lazily as if still in a slight dream when suddenly both eyes rolled open. She let out a shriek so piercing that I almost fell out of my boat. When I looked again she was gone beneath the rippling waves.





One of my most favorite memories of going to Martha's Cabin is visiting the ocean. We decided to drive to the coast again on this trip. We left early and arrived only to find the Pacific blanketed in a white fog. I could barely even see my hand in front of my face. We waited nearly all day for the fog to lift by stopping in a little town nearby to eat lunch and buying a sweatshirt because it was very cold. When we went back the fog had dissipated a bit but the full glory of peering out to the ocean seeing the slight curve of the horizon was still shielded by the fog. I was slightly disapointed but nothing could dampen my excitement of standing in the Pacific Ocean.

The Ocean is this big



Thus ends my Puget Sound Vacation.

2 comments:

Joybeth said...

Thanks for the birthday link. :)

Anonymous said...

did you know that flickr is having problems? which sucks because i just tried to go over there to look at more of your pictures like the one at the top. you should consider photography as more than just a hobby.