Thursday, July 06, 2006

Sunday in Kobe

The next morning was Sunday and I awoke to pouring rain. Maybe pouring isn't the correct term however because it dumped. We went out in the rain with umbrellas to go to a church service. Erin and Felix go to an amazing church here called Kobe Union Church. The service is in English so I could understand. The pastor is actually from Hawaii. I met a French guy at church. He was extremely excited parler to me and he is from Nice, France.

The town of Kobe, where the church is located, is very mountainous. It reminded me of Alaska with all the green and mountains.




After church Erin and I went to a supermarket to just give me the experience of what they are like.
Erin recommended that I try an onijiri. It is a seaweed wrapped rice sandwich. The sandwiches come in different things like fish, fruit, meats and vegetable. Very good. I also had some Japanese chocolate called Meiji. American chocolate just does not compare at all This had a much more heavier taste of chocolate and just a hint of maybe cherry but not really a cherry flavor. It was amazing. Then Felix met us in a church driven vehicle to take us closer to a train station.

In Japan they drive on the opposite side of the road and thus the driver is on the right. It takes some getting used to especially when crossing the street because you have to look the other way first before crossing.

The trains are very fast and interesting because they go everywhere.
We stopped at an outdoor street mall. However Erin tells me that it's not really a mall but just a street which happens to have a huge collection of stores. I found an amazing store called UniQlo. They had a sale on T-shirts for 500 yen which amounts to around 5 dollars US. I bought a lot because they were very cool and I found one that Eric will love but I won't describe it because it will be a surprise for your birthday. Mom I got you a beautiful Yakuta and I also bought one too. Though the male versions aren't as vibrant as the females.

Then we went to a China town and I bought a Jackie Chan style shirt. I also had some Taiwanese ice-cream. Absolutely amazing. The man mixed the ice-cream with a large spoon and it was like taffy because it stretched out as he lifted it up.
I don't even know where to began to describe its flavor. All I can say is that it was delicious and a welcome cool treat.

Though the heat isn't too bad here. Erin tells me that since it's been raining it hasn't been extremely hot yet. The humidity is not bad either. I little humid and wet feeling most of the day. I would compare it to Seattle with maybe a little more humidity and instead of misty rain, it pours here.

Oh oh OH!!!! Coming home we went to a supermarket to pick up some food for tonight and they had watermelon pop-cicles. Shaped like a watermelon slice and with a unique flavor. The black seeds of the watermelon were actually little pieces of chocolate. I wish I could send the flavor to you all.
Two cousins enjoying the watermelon pops


I did sooo much today that I missed talking about like eating at Mos Burger and about taking a shower. They were all good and interesting. I'll have more tales to tell everyone once I get back.

2 comments:

Fuzz said...

Hi Steve, it's interesting to hear about your first time experience in Japan. I was surfing the web for Nishinomiya blogs and found yours. I actually went to Japanese class with Felix last fall, how random is that? Enjoy the rest of your time here!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I see that you had a great time and a wonderful experience in Japan. Hope to see you post more about the trip. ^_^