Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hot air


I did laundry today and realized what a waste it is in many ways. First, it takes quite a lot of time to do. I have to drive over to the laundry-mat, then spend and hour washing and 20-40 minutes drying. It costs $2.25 to wash one load and $.25 cents to dry for 8 minutes (no joke). I waste an incredible amount of time, money, gas, water, detergent, and electricity all in the pursuit to smell good.

Just what can I do to counter this... Well, some suggest to not dry your clothes and instead put them out to dry on a clothes line. The problem is I don't have a clothes line and even if I did, Wyoming is extremely windy. I don't want to be chasing down my shorts. I've tried in the past to dry my clothes by hanging them up around my apartment but that definitely did not work. I wasn't trying to be eco-friendly, I just didn't want to pay to dry my clothes. The problem was my clothes hung up forever and they were still damp and wet for many days. I'll just have to continue going to a laundry mat.

2 comments:

CJ said...

Of course, cleanliness does have a correlation to healthiness. Just think how many resources you'd waste if you got sick because you didn't use a couple gallons of water. Unless, of course, you died immediately, in which case Mother Earth would save herself 3.95 earth tokens or whatever.

eric said...

yes, this is a good example of a systems problem that is hard to fix at the individual level!