Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Things I'm doing

This journal project has really gotten me to think differently and make some drastic changes in my life. I have decided to make a list of the things I am doing to reduce my impact on this planet. It helps me to see what I am doing and the benefits that I have realized because of them. I don't think being green is any good if it doesn't benefit you. Most of these things are easy to do but they take a complete paradigm shift from where I once was. I have to break old habits and constantly remind myself to do them. My efforts are being rewarded however. I have seen results. Here are a few of the things I am doing and some of the benefits I've realized.

Items in bold are the specific actions I am taking. Italicized items are the benefits I have realized and things in regular type are just extra info or thoughts on the item.

Riding my bike exercise and not using gas
Walking more exercise, more time to think, and not using gas
Driving less save money on gas
Taking shorter showers. 7 minutes currently down from 15. Less energy used. Lower gas bill.
Unplugging unused appliances Especially my cell phone charger and my old unused desktop PC. Go MacBook. Lower electric bill.
Turning off lights Lower electric bill.
Having meal nights. My roommate and I have certain nights of the week where we cook meals for each other. This helps to spread the cost of food and gives each of us a break from having to keep up our own food cabinet and time to cook everyday.
Keeping the thermostat on 60 degrees Fahrenheit (or off) Lower gas bill.
Keeping a recycling bin: paper, plastic milk jugs, and metal. This was hard to start doing because throwing stuff away was so easy. I have to constantly remind myself before I throw something away to look at it's recyclability.
Being more conscience of what I buy. I now look for items with very little packaging or material that I can recycle more easily.
Saving plastic grocery bags for other uses


I used to spend around $50 a month on fuel for my car. I now only spend $25 or less.
The gas bill was $16.84 last month. It now is $10.43.
The electric bill was $26.31. It is now $21.67.
I am saving approximately $36 a month. With that money I am donating $10 every month to my Christian organization on campus called the Navigators and saving the rest.


If you have any other ideas let me know.

1 comment:

eric said...

Wow, Steve. These are dramatic adjustments. Are they personally sustainable? I personally am liking biking more and riving less, and am really trying to get into using canvas shopping bags. I now hate the plastic kind. Also put in a small grow light and little vegie garden in my basement! Grow your own philosophy to cut back on carbon transport of food.