Sunday, March 22, 2009

Arriving in Venice

Salve (hello) friends and family!

I have already received numerous replies from my first email and I appreciate all your comments. Since the last email I have been adjusting well to the time change. Although, I was awake at 4am this morning. I tried to go back to sleep but couldn’t so I got up and downloaded the 1400+ pics from off my camera and I posted quite a few of them to my facebook page. For those of you with facebook and for those that do not these links should take you there so you can see all of them:
Venice Italy
Venice Italy 2

So far I only have the first day and Venice uploaded. I’ll post more as I get to it. It takes forever... Also, I’ll be posting these emails and pictures to my blog at www.seaofsteve.blogspot.com as I find time. And finally, I will post pictures to www.flickr.com/stvheld

If any of you would like the original pictures I can send you copies through email or by discs. Just let me know.

And now let’s go to Venice!


March 13, 2009

We boarded another Lufthansa flight bound for Venice, Italy. This would be a much shorter flight and it was a smaller plane. I lucked out and got a window seat. On the way there I kept nodding off but I tried to peel my eyes open because outside the scenery was beautiful. I watched Germany drift away and the Alps suddenly appear. They were gorgeous from 30,000 ft. I watched little mountain villages pass by and was amazed at all the sheer mountain cliffs covered in glistening snow.

The mountains gave way to rolling hills and then suddenly a blue expanse of water reflected the sun. It was the Aegean Sea. As we neared Venice thousands of water inlets fingered through the land. Off in the hazy distance I could just make out the tiny city of Venice. Oh what fun! Now my insides were really tingling with excitement. Our plane touched down and I was itching to get off the plane.

In the Venice Airport we all rushed through to claim our bags. It took some time but soon the bags came out. I enjoyed looking at all the Italian ads and banners throughout the airport. They definitely don’t mind using the female body.

Once everyone had their bags and we had a potty break we went out and were greeted by Luca, our EF tour guide. He was about 27 years old with dark hair and was very Italian looking. He was excited to greet us and took us all outside to our tour bus. On the side of the bus it was written Lizzio. I eventually named our bus Lisa.

It was nearing sundown as we rode from the airport to our hotel on the outskirts of Venice. Along the way tiny vineyards and farms blurred by. I enjoyed seeing all the Italian homes. Many were brick and quite a few were falling apart. Luca explained that most aren’t lived in anymore. Those homes were beautiful though because the land was taking them over. Trees and vines covered and grew up through the roofs. Many had crumpled roofs and I loved all the textures and colors of their homes and land. Everything was green! Coming from Wyoming, where all we have is 6 different shades of brown, it was beautiful to see all the green and reds of the buildings. Outside the bus window the sun was going down and the sky was turning a deep dark blood red.

We finally arrived out our hotel. It was a small place with three stories. I had the top floor and a room all to myself because I was 23 and too old to stay with anyone else since 22 was the cut off age of being considered a student. I didn’t mind it too much and actually enjoyed having a quite place of my own to just drop my stuff off and relax in. When I was bored I would just hung out with the lovely ladies in their rooms.

After settling in, I went to the lobby. There I met a few of the Kansas group that would join our Wyoming group. My graphic design professor went to Kansas and so together they worked out this whole tour to Italy. After meeting a few people, I decided that I would take a stroll outside. By now the sun had gone down completely and it was lovely chilly night. I walked around the block and found a bank and a water fountain in the street. I didn’t venture to far because dinner was just a few minutes away.

I ran into the hotel to put my bag away but the stairs were clogged with everyone so I decided to take the elevator. It was small and looked like it could only fit about three people. I stepped inside and an older Italian women also got in with me. She said something in Italian and I thought she was asking what floor I wanted. I said trece (which was Spanish but figured it would be similar to Italian.) She looked like she didn’t understand so I pointed at the number and made a three with my fingers. She pushed my hand down and again said something. I nervously smiled and just rode up a floor with her. When we reached the 2nd floor she pushed me out and then continued to speak in Italian. I was totally lost and slightly scared but others in my group were there on the second floor watching me get berated by this women. I’ll never know what she said but it was a fun experience. I never did take the elevator again though.

For dinner, I sat with a group from Wyoming. Between all of us on the tour, we filled half of the tables in the small hotel ristorante. The old lady I had met in the elevator was there placing bread on the tables and filling up our water. She smiled at me and said buona sera (good evening). I understood that and figured she must like me or at the very least had totally forgotten that I was the one in the elevator. Soon younger Italian guys came by with a large plate of pasta with red sauce. They scooped out a handful on my plate. I grabbed a roll of bread which was delicious. It was hard on the outside but very soft on the inside. The pasta was very good too and they kept coming by offering more and more. Which I was delighted to have more and more because it was very good. Soon, they cleared our plates and I thought we were done but out come another plate with pork. I was nearly full from eating so much pasta but I couldn’t deny eating more Italian food. It too was very delicious.

After dinner, I led a group around the block to the ATM and we also found a pay phone. Many of the girls wanted to call home and tell their families that they had arrived safely in Italy. However, we couldn’t figure out how to get the phone to work. We stood there punching buttons just like the directions indicated but were only greeted by weird beeps and dings. Finally, Loni was able to figure it out and helped the others. Stephanie and I were the only ones that didn’t call home. We had both told our parents we would email if we could but that if you didn’t here from us it meant we were having a great time. And obviously, since you never heard from me I had a splendid time. = )

It was quiet out on the streets. A few people were out walking their dogs but for the most part it was completely dead.

We walked back to the hotel and prepared for bed. Luca gave us a time to wake up so that we could get ready, have breakfast and load the bus in the morning. I got up to my room and set my alarm clock for 7am and when I hit my pillow I was off into the world of dreams.

That’s all for now. Ciao! Next will be the lovely city of Venice.

Con affetto,
Stefano

No comments: