Monday, May 01, 2006

Gesundheit



What’s so special about a sneeze?

The other day, I sneezed and someone said, "God bless you!" And I thought why do we say that? Why do we say God bless you, Gesundheit or salud only for a sneeze and not a thing for other involuntary activities such as coughing or burping?

A long time ago, people thought that when someone sneezed, they might accidentally sneeze their soul out of their nose. To keep the soul in the body people would bless them. I think that it would be nice if we said, "God bless you!" all the time, not just when we sneezed. How about when someone does anything wrong or out of the ordinary. Like that time I broke the window as a kid or just a few hours ago when a blue car cut me off, I could've said "God bless you!" instead of honking at him. I mean seriously, the guy could've lost his soul by the way he was driving.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this other than the fact that I'm delaying studying for my finals and for the fact that I haven't posted in almost a month. Anyway, it is still nice to bless someone when they sneeze. It's especially uplifting when walking down the street and a total stranger will sneeze and I will automatically say, "God bless you." They usually smile and say, "Thank you".

Even strangers appreciate someone who is concerned about their souls. Ah-chooooooooooooo!




Side note:
Look for the Sea of Steve to change a few things in the upcoming weeks, maybe two weeks, hopefully not three and if I go to four then assume that I will not be doing it. What is it? Here is a tiny bitty peak.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We bless our food and it doesn't sneeze

Anonymous said...

That was a pleasant entry. I can't figure out what your "change" is gonna be! I recognize the picture, but it didn't give me a clue!

Anonymous said...

Steve, it has been, like, a month. Don't make me take the Lord's name in vain in your blog.

Anonymous said...

It's official Steve - you can never again give me flak about doing previews or not posting.