Monday, May 23, 2005

Art

I haven't done much since my first post but figured I'd show my progress on this drawing anyway.

part2 Posted by Hello

I also wanted to state something that has been wearing me down. I take a lot of slack from friends, family, and other people about being an art major. "What are you going to do with an art major?" "Isn't that just silly to spend all that money at college to draw?" While people think this I say to them the same thing. "What are you going to do with an English major?" etc....

You need to open your eyes to the world. Art represents a rich heritage and is a unique way to know about the world and its cultures. When exploring the past or even present, one looks towards art. Art is responsible for shaping our lives. Turn on the television, stroll down a supermarket aisle, watch a movie-- and the one thing always present is art. We read, write and do arithmetic nearly every day, but we see art all the time. Art is part of our ceremonies, celebrations, and worship. Art is basic to our lives.

Art majors are well rounded individuals unique to this world. We don't worry about making major bucks because that's not what is important in the world. It is not an easy college degree either, we don't spend our days drawing. We're in literature classes, history classes, and many other classes, for an artist isn't complete without knowledge of the world. I say to all those people who get engineering degrees--you are taking the easy road to life because you fail to see the point of life itself. I too can design bridges and sculpt roads, however I'm more inclined to do so aethetically better then just a concret slab across a serene river. Remember Leonardo Da Vinci, wasn't just an artist but an inventor way ahead of his time. Disregard art and you hender our future.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the typo notification. Yeah, I'd been meaning to link you for a while.

Now I feel I must return the favor Mr. Well-Rounded, because I beg to differ with you:

It's only when you disregard English that you hender our future.

Anonymous said...

Ohh I get it. So you don't care were your clean water comes from huh? How do you get to work, and school? Who do you think installs the fiberoptic cables that allows for speedy internet access? So what are you saying that because engineers can't spell or speak good English that we are not well rounded individuals? Did you not pay attention to the Adventures of Mr. Incredible? Don't you realize that if our bridges fail that it will result in the demise of freedom. I am sick and tired of people thinking that engineers do it only for the money. Can't people realize that we might actually like engineering? All you artsy people are so full of yourselves that it makes me sick. (I hope you can tell that I am kidding)

Steve said...

Hmmm...Seems I made a few people mad with that post... I didn't mean to phrase it as if I hated everyone else. I was simply stating that the world needs art and yes the world needs engineers but really who needs English majors? Hahaha

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha. Agreed. Let's just hope Shaleena never finds this page...

Anonymous said...

Whoa, it looks like I've missed some stuff.

Of course, we know that it is possible for engineers and artists to work together. Engineers design the bridge, and the artists make it beautiful. Engineers design the video game, and artists draw all of the freakin' awesome graphics. Easy road to life... ha!

However, as was previously mentioned by Steve, I really see no need for English majors either... But I say go ahead and show Shaleena these comments. I'd like to see her face!

By the way, if I'm not allowed to slack off, neither are you! Every day I come here and it hasn't changed... disappointing, tell you what. I updated when you told me to, so now I'm returning the favor.