Wednesday, June 15, 2005

The Last Supper

Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve. And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me. And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I? And he answered and said, He that dippeth his hand with me in the dish, the same shall betray me. ~ Matthew 26:20-23


The Last Supper 


I have just realized some very odd occurences between Leonardo Da Vinci's The Last Supper and my YouDraw drawing of The Last Supper.

Leonardo Da Vinci was commissioned to paint The Last Supper in 1495. Da Vinci wanted to experiment with a new style he had invented - tempera (egg yolk and vinegar) plus oil painting on dry plaster. That way he could use more colors and redo portions if necessary. The painting took him four years to complete - 1495 to 1498. His patrons were furious at the delay but Leonardo refused to go any faster.

Unfortunately, Leonardo's style experiment was a disaster. The paint almost immediately began falling off the plaster, the humidity was causing the paint to separate from the plaster on which it had been painted. Over the years, the piece has been vandalized and nearly fell apart completely.

The Last Supper


600 years later - 1495 to 2005, I have made The Last Supper a permanent piece. It took Leonardo Da Vinci 4 years to complete The Last Supper, it took me 4 hours - 5:30PM to 9:30PM. Da Vinci experimented with a new style and I have as well by making this intensely detailed piece on a minuscule drawing pad. His piece suffered vandalism and so has mine with some comments by unscrupulous people. Fortunate for me these comments will eventually be removed by the very hard working and kind YouDraw Volunteers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that much like Seurat or Cezanne, you're piece seems to be as much about the method as it is about content. What medium did you use?

Steve said...

The medium is a computer and a mouse. Go to www.youdraw.com and click on drawpad and try it out yourself. You get a thick black pen and eraser, a small black pen and eraser and a very small drawing area. The concept of the site is to collect six billion drawings to represent the word's population. They want to represent everyone in the world with a drawing. Why not draw one yourself? If you do tell me what screen name you draw under and I'll vote for you.

Emily said...

Not only have you successfully captured the essence of The Last Supper in a black and white two-toned drawing, you've also done it with a computer mouse on a monitor screen! wow.