Tuesday, July 19, 2005

A world at my fingertips


The globe sat in the corner of my bedroom. I put my hand on the glossy surface sliding down the tip of Africa and back down to the floor. "Where should I go," I muttered to myself? I spun the globe around. All the colors mixed and the globe became one purple murky color.


I've always dreamt of traveling overseas to a distant land, coming face to face with a different culture. Now I have that chance I'm going to study abroad but where? Where O' where?


Faced with such an un'earth'ly decision my attention turned to the globe again, now spinning slower. I lightly held my fingertip to the surface and watched as North America inched its way across and then my fingertip rested quite nicely upon the Atlantic Ocean. Checking to make sure there weren't any islands under my fingertips I give the globe a hard thrust. This time I jabbed my finger into the redish color swirling by. Immediately the globe stopped and my fingertip pointed to none other than the Middle East, Saudi Arabia. Hmmm.... Best out of three spins I thought.


The globe swirled again. Colors danced by. The spinning came to an end as my finger screeched across Asia and finally stopped in Europe. Yes! Now I'm getting somewhere. Austria. Hey not too bad.


Before spinning the globe I have been meandering through a list of places in my head. Europe is always on my mind as I keep thinking of places to go. Italy, France, Germany, England.... I don't speak any language other than English though. I have taken two years of Spanish, one year of French and I know how to say I love you in German but I don't think any of that will help me much. Ich liebe dich can only get you a smile from a German girl and a slap from an American girl. I don't know what to do. So won't you help me decide? Why yes you will!


Where in the world should Steve be? Vote! If you have a suggestion of another place, please leave a comment.















Where Shall I Go?
England
Germany
France
Italy
Australia
Russia
Japan
China



Free polls from Pollhost.com

5 comments:

Emily said...

Hee-hee! I like this poll thing! I'm so tempted to vote more than once it's not even funny. Maybe you should have a once-a-day limit, so that way I can vote again tomorrow. :-)

Steve said...

The poll is set to a week. So you can come back and vote after you've given it much thought as to where I should go.

Since I'll be vacationing in Puget Sound beginning Saturday I'll leave this post up until I get back. You'll at least get to vote one other time during that week.

If you find that you just have to vote and can't wait another week, there is a way, but I can't tell you. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Anonymous said...

My husband had the opportunity to study abroad in Cairo while we were dating, but he didn't BECAUSE HE HAD THE CRAZY. Seriously though, don't pass up this chance. I loved England, but I think your decision should be based on what you plan to study.

Anonymous said...

Um I vote Austria obviously the globe wanted you to go there, why you did not include that in the poll is beyond me. I hear they have good art schools in Vienna.

gRaCeY said...

It really depends on what you wanna study and what cultures you wanna experience.

I would suggest Malaysia not because I'm from there, but because you can experience more than 3 cultures at one go!The majority is the Malays, then the Chinese and then the Indians. We also have aborigines who live with the rest of us and still some who still live in the jungle. And we do live together in harmony. Plus the exchange rate would be an advantage to you.

We have 2 different sets of cultures. One within our own community, and the other an integrated culture between all the races.It's hard to explain all here. You just gotta come see it yourself.

And yeah, hi.*smile*