Friday, March 03, 2006

On the Side of the Road

A lady from my dad's workplace contacted me to design a T-shirt for their 2006 Crawfish Boil. She gave me free artistic license to do what I wanted but suggested one of her ideas of a crawfish wondering around the cold snowy fields of Wyoming dreaming about a nice warm pot to be boiled in. I decided to go along those lines of what she suggested and began thinking of how best to depict that.

Before sketching I had to know what those little crawfish boogers looked like. This is why I love Google and the Google Image Search. Here's an image I got, dang aren't they ugly?

Well that crawfish is fine but seriously who would want that thing on their shirt unless you're Cindy Crawfish?

I then searched for crawfish cartoons to see how other artists drew those ugly things so they could possibly look adorable. I came across a page completely dedicated to the creatures. Trapper Arne's Crayfish Page.

Ok... Well that's really facinating Trapper Arne, but as much as I love crayfish, as you call them, I have a project to do. This cartoon image on Trapper Arne's website gave me an idea, not only was this crawfish (or crayfish) nicer looking but it gave me the idea to draw a crawfish hitchhiking out here in Wyoming with a sign saying Someplace WARM. Here are some of my early sketches.



Then I needed some guys to pick this creature up. Hmmm the guys I drew first are really crude and uglier than crawfish, let's give them some character! Why not a cowboy hat on one. Yeah! Go Cowboys! and some lines to indicate that they are in a car. Viola!










Stay tuned for the next post as I continue my Crawfish T-shirt design and if, "You're thinking what I'm thinking."

2 comments:

The Complimenting Commenter said...

That is a great idea. I love the sketches and seeing the process you are going through. Fantastic job.

BlondeBlogger said...

I see we're battling in BE's BOtB's! Good luck! (and good luck with the t-shirt, too)